16 Nov Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
We found the essence of Thanksgiving buried between the crisp golden crust and creamy center of this pumpkin pie recipe. You don’t have to bother making another for gluten-friendly family members—this recipe leaves them all behind.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1.5 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 ⅓ cups gluten-free plain flour
- 4 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 golden caster sugar
- 3 lbs fresh pumpkins
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
How To Do It:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 10-inch loose-bottomed tart pan with vegetable oil.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Roughly chop pumpkin into large wedges pieces and spread out in a pan.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven for about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and xanthan gum from a height and stir in sugar and cinnamon,
- Cut the butter into cubes and use your fingertips to mix it into the flour mixture until the consistency resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add to the mixture, making it into a rough dough. If needed you can add a splash of milk.
- Pat dough into a flat round, 1-inch thick piece and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin is tender, let cool.
- Roll out the pastry dough until it’s roughly ¼-inch thick. Then carefully place dough into the prepared tart pan, and gently press it into the sides.
- Peel away any overhanging pastry and flatten the base with a fork. Place in the fridge to chill for another 10 minutes.
- Remove tart dish from the fridge and cover with a layer of plastic wrap.
- Fill plastic wrap with uncooked beans or rice and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and beans or rice, then cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, scoop the cooled pumpkin flesh into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Discard all pumpkin skin.
- In a small pan, melt butter for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the melted butter to the pulsed pumpkin with sugar, flour, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 2 eggs then add to the processor and pulse again until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the cooled pastry dish, using a fork or spoon to spread evenly.
- Roll out the leftover pastry dough to roughly ¼ inch thick and cut it into long strips (about ½ inch wide.)
- Crisscross dough across the top of the pie and trim away any rough edges.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush over the pastry.
- Place the pie in the hot oven for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden.
- After you remove the pumpkin pie, dust with confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon.
Ready to Start Baking?
Shop with us online or in-store to get started!Shop STREETside Find a Store